Friday, June 12, 2015
12 Traits of Great Supervisors
1. Communicator: Must communicate clearly to avoid misunderstandings and frustrations. When receiving information from an employee make sure to receive it correctly – no harm in asking again to make sure.
2. Is Adaptable: Our world is changing at a lighting fast pace. Good supervisors keep up with it and do not just follow the age old norms. They think out of the box if required – especially when it come to managing Millennials.
3. Values Employees: A great supervisor understands their worth and daily shows how he/she cares.
4. Is a Coach: Good supervisors share their wisdom, knowledge and experience with the employees as one way to show they care.
5. Disciplined: Arrives at work on time, meets deadlines, behaves and models what they want repeated.
6. Gives Feedback: Employees, especially Milleninals, are starved for good honest feedback. Secret Sauce – always trying to catch people dong things right and give them a one minute praising.
7. Is Hands On: Does not just delegate, but take on projects and work as well. Takes up challenges to show how all work is important.
8. Is Approachable: Employees should not hesitate in approaching the supervisor with their concerns and problems. That only happens when their is trust and openness.
9. Is Considerate: People are not just employees, but have families, friends and a life beyond work. Be practical when setting schedules, which will improve the efficiency and the productivity of the employees.
10. Is Positive: Good supervisors are polite, wish employees good mornings, thanks them often and ask about their families.
11. Criticizes Positively: As my grandmother always told me if you put a little honey of the front of the spoon it helps the vinegar go down better. Same with employees – disciplines in private and make it as positive as possible.
12. Is a Learner: Continually tries to learn new and better ways to inspire those he/she coaches.
Common Sense Counsel: If you really want supervisors with these 12 traits you have to invest in their training. Sign them up today for the EASHRM Supervisor Bootcamp on June 16, 2015 7:30am – 2pm (EAMC Health Resource Center) and you will be amazed with the change! Dr. Garth Staffer and I will be the lead trainers teaching how to really succeed managing Millennials, top 9 employment litigation landmines and how to avoid them, tips to stay union free, how to win the Alabama Unemployment Compensation case and supervisor drug & alcohol reasonable suspicion training. Register at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/supervisor-training-boot-camp-tickets-17185249544?aff=eac2 Or call Aimee Sikes at 334-321-3264
Tommy Eden is a partner working out of the Constangy, Smith & Prophete, LLP offices in Opelika, AL and West Point, GA and a member of the ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law and serves on the Board of Directors for the East Alabama SHRM Chapter. He can be contacted at email@example.com or 334-246-2901. Blog at www.alabamaatwork.com with live link to the EASHRM sign up page.